Anatomy of a half marathon- My 21 km run during Mumbai marathon 2011

I have been running half marathon for the past seven years. Barring two editions I have run all the seven editions of Mumbai Marathon. However as I keep getting wiser, read older, I have started running a technical race than the first time when I ran blindly without a technical practice. I wanted to recount the experience of my fifth half marathon with the readers.
Prior to the race day, I started having butterflies in my stomach. I started telling myself, why am I nervous. I had been eating mainly Pastas for the past week that my sons started complaining about the food. I was bent on increasing my carbohydrate quotient. I also consumed electrol mixed in water to stop myself from dehydration during the run. I went to sleep early and after tossing left and right managed to sleep well. I woke up at 4.30 am and got ready for the run.
When I reached the venue at Bandra Reclamation grounds it was like a mela of spirited runners. The participants have been increasing every year. The air was filled with smell of pain relief spray and I could see the spirit of Mumbai in each of the runner's face. I got delayed due to the long serpentine queue for the mobile toilets where runners waited to empty their bladders one last time before making themselves lighter for the run. Unfortunately this put me behind the majority of the runners at the start line. By the time I had come out of the loo, the race had started and the runners were already on their course. I ran dodging fellow runners to make up for the delayed start.
1 km- I reached the Bandra Worli Sea link bridge. It was still dark and the Sun had not risen. Though I had driven over the 3 km bridge many a times, this was special, I was running on it. I felt great to be traversing Mumbai on foot in places where you can never think of walking. Can you think of walking on the traffic heavy route that is the marathon route? I loved this man!
2 km- I was panting from running fast, but still overtaking many runners who had taken a lead over me due to reaching the starting track earlier than me. I saw runners in different hues, colours and age. I receiv my motivation from them, especially the fairer ones.
3 km- I ran past the water station, didn't want to fill myself with water though my lips were parched. I got my first wind at this stage. I started getting into rhythm.
4 km- I stopped by to pick up a bottle of water, sipped and continued to run. I came out of the bridge on to Worli seaface. The crowd had already gathered to cheer us up. I did not look at them. I was looking ahead how to eat the time.
5 - 7 km- Running on the Worli seaface I was seeing the first batch of full marathoners runnig past me to the bridge. I saw Milind Soman, who with his pepper white gray hair looked handsome like our own Richard Gere. After a few yards, I saw Siddharth Mallaya, son to the King Fisher tycoon Vijay Mallaya making his way to the bridge. Running along the sea inspires me a lot. How I wish the marathon route was all along the sea. I really love the sea and what a great sight it is to see and run.
8- 10 km- I ran with rhythm and kept consuming water to hydrate myself. I was taking in water every 4 kms. I kept drenching my head so that I can keep my head cool.
11-13 km- I was running on Haji Ali. I was feeling great seeing the crowd looking at us some in awe, some in disdain and some in envy. Many came out of their house with biscuits, oranges and water to cheer the runners.
14-16 km I crossed the Haji Ali cross road and started on the Peddar road climb. This is the toughest stretch of the marathon. I didn't want to walk this climb and kept running up the slope. This helped me overcome many early starters. In the down hill I ran fast and thereby saved some energy, courtesy Newton's gravitation.
17 km I paused near Babulnath temple to gaze at the first bunch of Elite marathon runners speed by me. As in every marathon I pause to watch the Kenyans and Ethiopians in awe as they run past me like gazelles.
18 km- I am in the Marine drive. The Sun started hitting me. I drench myself in mineral water and keep running. My legs are screaming at me to stop, but my mind tells me not to. I stop to walk a few yards but Bryan Adams in my ipod tells me not to stop but keep running. I know if I walk more my legs will get frozen and I may not be able to run the finishing line. Egged by the crowd I run and run praying to God that I don't suffer a cramp. I overtake Gul Panag and her boyfriend who is faithfully running along her protectively. I couldn't help but turn and ogle a little bit at her. She is definitely pretty, man!
19 km- I am near the Police Gymkhana. There are cheering bands, all along the marine drive. Indian Navy as one of the sponsors had got their band too. I see a Banghra troupe belting out Balle Balle. The marine drive is a mixture of noise and music. I am not able to enjoy all these scenes. I just want to run and keep going. I see a female runner on the ground suffering from a cramp. I look at her and ask her if she needs any help. She just shrugs me off. I run guiltlessly worried about finishing my run in my best time.
20 km- I take the turn at Just Jazz by the Bay and head towards Fountain. I see many runners are walking suffering from cramps. Volunteers apply pain relief spray and cheer them to run. I am thanking God that he has spared me from the deadly sprain.
21 km - I take the Fountain bend and start increasing my speed for the final finish. I run like a mad guy trying to set a record. I am proud of what I have done and what I am doing. I cross the finish line in a time of 2 hrs 13 mins 56 secs.
There is only one thought on my mind, I will come again next year and never ever miss this.

Comments

Lingesh M said…
Good Miranda! keep it up!
Unknown said…
Hi Vivek,

Wonderful! Keep it up! Best of Luck in the coming Years.

Siva
K K Naveen said…
kya narration hai sir....sir next time i'll be there in mumbai running with you!
Pabitra's Diary said…
Respected Sir
it inspires a lot to actually jump in the run,
will try to accompany surely once and enjoy the marathon in your eyes
Leena Miranda said…
Wow!! That was amazing narration of ur endurance run...Well run n well written!! btw i did take a glimpse of Gul Panag
Unknown said…
your marathon article about your marathon inspired me! Well done and no wonder that paunch is always your enemy :-)
With your blog, you took me through the half marathon. I almost felt and experienced it through your blog except for the distraction of "ogling" at that beautiful leady. Hey, the Man needs a break, ehh. I think it is brilliant and it is very inspirational. Thank you for sharing your Half Marathon experience.
BTW, I just finished my 10k which I thought would be the target for 2011. I remember you belittling my target of 10k. You were right!! Thank you for the motivation.
Bags said…
Well Done

Popular posts from this blog

A Church by the Sea

Market share or Profits?